One of my favorite dishes – this dairy-free, gluten-free hearty dish is just as good as the Russian original.
- 2 cups cashew cream base (see below for recipe)
- 1 cup beef (or bison) broth or bone broth
- 1/4 cup sulfate-free red wine
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1.5 cups mushrooms (fresh or frozen – either portobello, button, cremini, shiitake or a mix)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound organic sirloin steak (cut into thin strips)
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil for cooking
- Cappello’s grain-free noodles (1-2 packs)
First, for tender beef, heat 1/2 of the butter/oil over medium heat in a skillet to sear the beef. Place beef in skillet and sear on both sides for 30 seconds per side. (The interior will be raw but it will get cooked in the sauce). Remove beef from skillet and place in medium bowl until sauce is ready.
Using the same skillet, add the rest of the oil/butter and heat on medium heat, adding chopped onions, sliced mushrooms, garlic, sea salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until onions soften (about 4-5 minutes) and add red wine, cook for another 2 minutes and add beef broth and cashew cream. Whisk until it starts to bubble and add beef back into pan. Turn burner to low and cover skillet with lid and allow beef to cook for 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally but keeping it hot enough to bubble occasionally (make sure your heat is low enough that the bottom of the sauce doesn’t start to burn).
While beef is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the gluten-free noodles. Cook noodles according to directions. Drain, rinse and plate noodles. Top with beef stroganoff and garnish as desired.
Cashew Cream Base
This base can be used for the stroganoff or chicken alfredo.
- 3.5-4 cups soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp sea salt
Be sure cashews have soaked at least 6 hours and preferably overnight. Drain cashews and add all ingredients to Vitamix or blender. Blend on low and increase speed to high and blend on high for 30 seconds or until very smooth. Use immediately or save for later use (can be refrigerated or frozen).