The key to this pesto is using the mild flavored smartweed, chickweed and plantain in bulk and just using a few leaves of violet and mugwort. Violet is very slippery due to its mucilaginous properties – making it great for the lymphatic system and regenerating the colon but not so great for texture in a pesto. Mugwort can only be consumed raw internally in small doses to avoid toxicity.
- 4 cups wild plantain, violet, smartweed, chickweed, dandelion leaves
- Mugwort (5-10 sprigs)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup organic olive oil
- 6-8 oz goat feta cheese or vegan replacement
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
Place all ingredients in Vitamix (or food processor) and puree until smooth. Serve over spaghetti squash or gluten-free noodles of your choice. I like to toss in some cherry tomatoes for garnish and an additional pop of flavor.