This was an accidental gem I discovered one day while cleaning out the fridge. I only had a bunch of purple kale, a bag of carrots and some homemade honey mustard dressing left. I had the shredder out so I decided to shred the carrots and tossed the salad. One bite and I thought, “oh, this would be good with some shredded goat cheese.” So I added that. And tried another bite and I realized, “this would be so good with bacon and slivered almonds for a crunch”. I added the bacon and almonds to it for breakfast the next morning and it was SO good. Now I try to have this as a fridge staple. Even fast-food addicts love it! The honey mustard dressing is from my friend Heidi.
- 2 bunches purple kale (or green kale with stalks removed)
- 1 pound carrots (shredded)
- 8 oz shredded goat cheese (optional)
- 1 pack bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- ½ cup (or more) slivered or chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 cup honey mustard dressing (or more to taste)
Chop kale into very thin strips and place in large tossing bowl. Add all other ingredients and generously pour dressing over salad. Toss to coat the entire salad in dressing and preferably leave out on counter for 6-12 hours before eating. This allows the acid in the dressing to partially breakdown or “pre-digest” the cellulose in the raw kale. After that the salad can be refrigerated and I think it’s best after sitting for 24 hours because all the flavors start to blend together.
Note: if you are going to prep early and serve later, leave off the bacon and almonds until right before serving to keep them crispy.
Honey Mustard Dressing (makes about 2-2 ½ cups)
- 4 lemons juiced
- Olive oil (an equal amount to the lemon juice)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- ½ cup mustard (brown, yellow, or Dijon)
- 1-2 tsp mustard powder (optional for a stronger flavor)
- ¼ cup honey or agave (I use raw, unheated honey)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a Vitamix, Bullet or blender (crush garlic if using a blender). Blend until smooth. If not using immediately store in a glass jar in the fridge, will keep for at least 2 weeks.